EUCLID

NEIGHBORHOOD HISTORY

Originally a portion of the Village of Euclid, the present Euclid-Green neighborhood was annexed to Cleveland by legislative acts in 1914 and 1926. The hillside which rises up from Euclid Avenue to the southeast divides the neighborhood into two district sections. The hillside is actually one of the beach ridges left as Lake Erie receded 14,000 years ago from its height of 200 feet above its present level.

Euclid-Green is separated from the rest of Cleveland--on the west by the City of East Cleveland and on the north by rail lines and accompanying industrial districts which developed around them. The portion of the neighborhood at the bottom of the hill (the area along Euclid Avenue and the rail lines) developed predominantly during the 1920's. Between 1920 and 1930 the neighborhood's population more than doubled, rising from 2,035 to 5,026.

A second wave of construction occurred during the 1950's and 1960's as the area near the top of the hill was developed. The predominance of contemporary single-family development makes this area one of the City's most suburban-like neighborhoods. This is particularly true of the winding streets and rolling hills of the Euclid Park subdivision, located generally between Green road and Belvoir Boulevard.

Non-white population in the Euclid-Green neighborhood climbed from approximately 2% in 1970 to 82% in 1990. Euclid-Green is the only City neighborhood in increase in population between 1980 and 1990, going from 7,993 to 8,089. This change is attributed to a slight increase in average household size.