BUCKEYE - SHAKER

NEIGHBORHOOD HISTORY

Originally part of Newburgh and Shaker Townships and annexed to Cleveland in 1913 and 1915, the Buckeye-Shaker neighborhood developed principally between 1900 and 1930. During these decades, the Buckeye Road area attracted the largest Hungarian population outside of Hungary and became known as Cleveland's Little Hungary.

Shaker Square, developed between 1927 and 1929 by the Van Swerigen brothers, at the point where the two lines of the Shaker Rapid diverge, is one of the nation's earliest and most architecturally distinguished examples of a planned shopping center. Adjacent to Shaker Square are over 3,000 units of high-quality multi-family housing, the largest such concentration in the City.

South and east of Shaker Square is the Ludlow neighborhood, which lies in both Cleveland and Shaker Heights and was part of the larger Van Sweringen development. This area is known nationally for its Tudor architecture, curving streets and generous green spaces. To the northwest of Shaker Square is the Larchmere retail district and Fairwood neighborhood. During the 1960's and 1970's, racial and economic change, accompanied by increasing property repair needs in the Buckeye section of the neighborhood, resulted in the establishment of grass-roots organizations committed to stabilizing that part of the neighborhood. The Buckeye-Woodland Community Congress and Bank on Buckeye were among the most active and innovative neighborhood organizations operating in Cleveland during the 1970's and early 1980's. In the early 1990's the development of a 120,000-square foot shopping center near East 116th and Buckeye (in the Woodland Hills neighborhood) and an upturn in storefront renovation activity has caused renewed optimism for the neighborhood's future.


Return to Tour


Home


Neighborhood Information Page


Statistical Planning Area Main Chart