The present neighborhood of Brooklyn Centre was first settled in the 1820's along Pearl Street (now West 25th Street/Pearl Road), which provided direct access from this rural portion of Brooklyn Township (established in 1818) to the farmers markets at Public Square and at the old Central Market site. Spurred by the extension of a streetcar line along Pearl Street in 1869, a substantial business district developed around the intersection of Pearl Road and Denison Avenue - an area which remains the neighborhood's commercial center.
The Village of Brooklyn, which encompassed the present Brooklyn Centre neighborhood, was incorporated in 1889 but was quickly annexed to the burgeoning City of Cleveland through legislative acts in 1890 and 1894.
The oldest remaining houses in the Brooklyn Centre neighborhood date from the middle of the 19th century. However, most residential development occurred during the post-annexation period, between 1900 and 1915. Today, a number of architecturally-significant one- and two-family houses line Archwood, Denison and Mapledale Avenues in an area which constitutes the locally-designated Brooklyn Centre Historic District. Also, a portion of Archwood Avenue is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
During the 1980's, ongoing residential renovation was complemented by a strengthening of the local business district through construction of an architecturally-noteworthy fire station, followed by development of two restaurants and the renovation of several existing businesses. The new Brooklyn Centre shopping plaza, located on Pearl Road, between Mapledale and Archwood Avenues will further strengthen the retail district into the 1990's.
Return to Tour | Neighborhood Link | Neighborhood Information page