La Copa chosen as meeting place for violent brawl
by Chuck Hoven

(Plain Press, April 2007) Tape from a video camera placed on Clark Avenue by a security program started by Clark Metro Development Corporation, may help to convict suspects held in an assault that occurred in the early morning hours of March 9th outside of the La Copa Sports Bar, 2704 Clark Avenue.

The time stamped tapes will also help to determine whether the bar was closed at the time of the fight as claimed by the bar manager Angelo Sadik. Several sources have indicated to the Plain Press that the tapes show that those involved in the fight came out from the bar, and the fight occurred while the bar was still open.

The victim of the assault, Miguel Rivera, is unconscious and in critical condition at Metro Hospital with severe head injuries.

The victim’s girlfriend, Shaeyla Soto, made a statement for the police report in Rivera’s hospital room at MetroHealth Medical Center. She stated that Rivera received a cell phone call from the suspect, Eric F.Torres. She noted Rivera and Torres had been verbally fighting over the last few months. Soto said Torres accused Rivera of being responsible for his brother getting sent to prison. Soto said the two men decided to settle the matter by fighting and decided to meet outside La Copa Bar.

According to the police report, Soto stated that sometime during the fight, Torres “pulled out a handgun from his waistband and used it to strike the victim repeatedly over the head.” Soto and another witness drove the unconscious Torres to MetroHealth Emergency Room.

There were no 911 calls made to report the incident. The police report filed on March 9th indicates bar manager Angelo Sadik said the bar had closed at 1:30 a.m., before the incident occurred. The police report indicates that the bar’s security cameras do not cover the area where the fight occurred. The report indicates that the Scientific Investigative Unit was not called in on the case because the “area had been cleared more than 12 hours before police were notified.”

Torres was arrested on March 13th and is being charged with two counts of felonious assault and one count of having a weapon while under disability. In addition to Torres, a second suspect was named in the police report. That suspect, Nathaniel L. Stanley, has been arrested in connection with the case. The police report lists charges against Stanley as “felonious assault” with a firearm.


News & Articles | Archives