W. 49th Street Bridge lighting and rehabilitation ceremony

(Plain Press, October 2006) On September 14th residents of the North Shore Neighbors Block Club joined Ward 17 Councilman Matt Zone, Detroit Shoreway Community Development Corporation Executive Director Jeff Ramsey, and other community stakeholders to celebrate the completion of the W. 49th Street Bridge and restoration of the historic light pylons.

The W. 49th Street Bridge spans the Shoreway at W. 49th and Tillman. Constructed in 1940, it is an example of Cuyahoga County public works architecture and industrial design. The bridge features Art Deco-inspired styling executed with poured concrete, giving it a streamlined, modern look befitting the industrial growth of mid-century Cleveland. The light fixtures that accent the main bridge piers feature octagonal metal frames, and were restored by metalworking students at nearby Max S. Hayes Vocational School.

 

News & Articles | Archives