Near West Theatre wins award
(Plain Press, February 2006) Charter One Bank and media partner WJW FOX 8 named Near West Theatre as the first Champion in Action award winner in Ohio. Near West Theatre will receive a $25,000 grant, plus public relations and volunteer support in recognition of its outstanding commitment to providing after-school programming for Cleveland’s youth.
The award program was launched in September 2005 to honor and support non-profit organizations working to address the needs of Greater Cleveland.
Near West Theatre was chosen as the first Champion in Action in Ohio for its exemplary work in providing opportunities year round for youth to perform, develop peer and mentoring relationships, and explore and develop life skills. The theatre creates an avenue in which the community can see at-risk teens and adults in a positive light by:
•Providing a creative and constructive outlet for 1,200 children and adolescent participants each year through after school and summer programming;
•Teaching job readiness, theatre arts, and trade skills to youth participants; and
•Presenting more than 80 productions since its inception that push the boundaries of musical theatre with large ensembles, nontraditional casting, and examination of social issues and themes that are relevant to the lives of the participants.
As the first-quarter Champion in Action, Near West Theatre will receive the following:
• A $25,000 contribution in unrestricted funds from Charter One Bank
• Media coverage from WJW FOX 8, including public service announcements and news stories
• Volunteer support from Charter One and WJW FOX 8 employees
• Extensive public relations support highlighting the Champion in Action in Charter One branches and ATMs
• Exposure on both Charter One’s and WJW FOX 8’s web sites.
News & Articles | Archives