Franklin Circle Christian Church celebrates sanctuary renovation    

(Plain Press, June 2005) Franklin Circle Christian Church, Disciples of Christ, at 1688 Fulton Road held a dedication ceremony on Sunday May 1st to celebrate the renovation of its 1884 Victorian Gothic sanctuary. The ceremony marked the culmination of a year’s effort and $100,000 in improvements to the sanctuary. The renovations were dedicated in the memory of the late Webb P. Chamberlain, M.D., a longtime member of the congregation and a Cleveland physician.

Cleveland architects Cudell & Richardson designed the Franklin Circle Christian Church building, which was constructed between 1874 and 1884. The restoration efforts included the repair of damaged ceilings and walls, the complete repainting of the interior, new carpeting, installation of accent lighting in the narthex, a three level vertical lift for persons with mobility impairment, restoration of original stained glass windows, and the building of a ramp for handicap accessibility. Claude Pitman, trustee, was the project manager.

The renovation of the sanctuary is a part of a larger fund raising effort called “The Circle Project” which seeks to enhance the facility to meet the needs of the church’s community for the 21st century. The Circle Project Committee, co-chaired by Sharon Thomas and Martha Boska, raised funds for the restoration of the sanctuary and other improvements, such as a media center with digital projection and state-of-the-art sound system, a commercial refrigerator and freezer, security improvements and a wheelchair lift for the community building.

At the ceremony, Franklin Circle Christian Church pastor the Rev. Allen V. Harris, the church’s trustees and the Circle Project Committee thanked the members of the Near West Side Community, members of the congregation and members of the Chamberlain family for their contributions to the church community and the renovations. State Representative Michael Skindell and Ward 13 Councilman Joe Cimperman were both on-hand to offer their praise to the congregation and its members for their contribution to the Near West Side community.

 

News & Articles | Archives