Archwood UCC celebrates 185 years
(Plain Press, August 2004) Archwood United Church of Christ (UCC), 2800 Archwood Avenue , celebrated its 185th Anniversary on Sunday, July 25 th at its worship service with special music and a historic presentation.
Archwood UCC is the oldest congregation of the United Church of Christ in Cleveland . It was originally chartered in 1819 as the First Congregational Church of Brooklyn. When the neighborhood was annexed to Cleveland in 1894, the name was changed to Archwood Avenue Congregational Church. Fourth UCC merged with Archwood in 1967.
This is also the 75th anniversary of the sanctuary and steeple. The steeple is well known for the church’s food drive every summer when the pastor is held captive in the steeple to collect food for Brookside Center . As part of the anniversary celebration this summer, work is being done so the steeple will be lit every night.
The congregation currently numbers 180 members and is led the by Rev. David Bahr, pastor for the past 11 years.
For more information call the church office at 351-1060.
News & Articles | Archives