Edgewater was once no more than three sprawling farms. The estate of Eliza and Simeon Jennings donated both land and property to establish, among other things, homes for the poor and the ill. During the later part of the 1800s, Edgewater took on a suburban character. The side streets between Detroit and Lake Avenues were subdivided for single-family homes. Some of Cleveland's richest residents occupied large estates between the Lake and Lake Avenue. The neighborhood was finally annexed to Cleveland in 1894.

Location:Edgewater is on the midwest side of Cleveland and is located on the shores of Lake Erie. It is just west of Detroit Shoreway from West 85th to West 117th and the Lakewood border. The southern boundary is Berea Road and the Cudell neighborhood. The main streets are Detroit, Clifton, Baltic and Lake. Neighborhood Map.

Clifton Boulevard Shopping District located near West 112th and along Clifton hosts a number of shops unique to this neighborhood.

The average sale price of single-family homes in Edgewater is listed at $96,776. The median market value is a bit lower, right around $60,000-$75,000. The predominant housing styles in Edgewater include Bungalows, Colonials, and Multi-Story residential buildings. Property sales information.

In general, the housing stock in Edgewater is fairly diverse, more so than many neighborhoods in Cleveland. There are modest homes along the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern rail lines. Apartment buildings can be found throughout Edgewater. Among the first to be built are along Detroit Avenue and Clifton Avenue. Later more apartments were built along Lake Avenue and West Boulevard.

Edgewater is also lucky enough to have retail shops as diverse as its housing stock, attracting both residents of the neighborhood and outsiders to this area.

Parallel to Detroit Avenue, one will find the Lakeshore and Michigan Southern Railroad. From 1902 to 1967, kings, presidents, and movie stars passed through this area on the famous "20th Century Limited".

11621 Detroit Avenue was once home to the largest movie theater between New York City and Chicago. Now a mixed use building, the former Granada theater Complex housed retail establishments and office spaces. The theater once had a Spanish garden located indoors.

Cudell Improvement, Inc., a local community based organization, serves both the Edgewater and Cudell neighborhoods. This organization renovated and had its offices in the Fruitland School Building (11500 Franklin Boulevard) until recently. The building includes other offices and will become a school again.

The Coffey House, site of John D. Rockefeller's marriage to Ada Thatcher, is located at 11015 Detroit Avenue.

Once Elizabeth Wallace Jenning's Italian villa, the Children's Aid Society is located at 10427 Detroit Avenue. Also located on land donated by Ms. Jennings, the Eliza Jennings Home opened its doors in 1885. The home was donated to the YMCA at the time and was to be used as a residence for indigent and terminally ill women.

Just south of Detroit Avenue is the White Chewing Gum Company Building. Built in1890, White Chewing Gum went from being a medicinal treatment to a confection.
The pride of Edgewater is Edgewater State Park. Located along Lake Erie (at the west end of the Shoreway), the park includes a renovated pavilion, picnic areas, a boat launch, the Edgewater Yacht Club, and Edgewater Marina. The park also hosts on of the largest (900 feet) bathing beaches in Cleveland.

For Information on housing in the Edgewater Neighborhood, click here



Adjacent Neighborhoods: