Select a Neighborhood
Welcome to South Broadway
In 1796, New Englanders moved to this area – originally known as Newburgh Township, forming one of the earliest settlements in Cuyahoga county. The construction of the Ohio and Erie Canal, the Sault-St. Marie Canal and the Cleveland and Pittsburgh Railroad in the following 50 years led to industrial growth and increased commercial trade including the establishment of several steel mills. In the 1870s this neighborhood experienced a large influx of Czech and Polish immigrants who worked in the nearby iron and steel mills. After the turn of the century, large residential areas north and south of Fleet avenue developed which housed a large Polish population which today is known as Slavic Village.