Woodland - Hills Neighborhood Tour



Luke Easter Park
The 116-acre Woodland Hills Park (now Luke Easter Park) was acquired by the City's Board of Park Commissioners in 1900 as part of a general plan for park development approved in 1894. A principal feature of this plan was the development of a large park on the outskirts of the city in each of seven geographic districts. The park gives the area its name which today is also called Buckeye-Woodland.

Location: The Shaker-Buckeye neighborhood is the eastern boundary at East 116th St. The neighborhood extends to East 93rd. on the west. The Baldwin Reservoir (Fairhill Rd.) to the north an Luke Easter Park to the south. Buckeye, Shaker and Kinsman provide access to the neighborhood.

The Woodland Hills neighborhood developed principally between 1900 and 1930. During these decades, the Buckeye Road area attracted the largest Hungarian population outside of Hungary and became known as Cleveland's "Little Hungary." On the northern border Luna Park, an amusement park, was established in a hilly wooded area.

During the 1960's and 1970's, racial and economic change, accompanied by increasing property repair needs in the Buckeye-Woodland neighborhood, resulted in the establishment of grass-roots organizations committed to stabilizing the neighborhood. The Buckeye-Woodland Commmunity Congress and Bank on Buckeye were among the most active and innovative neighborhood organizations operating in Cleveland during the 1970's and early 1980's.

The neighborhood has a varity of housing that includes affordable apartments in garden apartments along Shaker Blvd., and Woodhill Homes Estate developed on the former Luna Park site.

There is also a concentration of wood frame doubles with front porches in the "Cleveland Double" style.

There is an area of brick cottages and new housing, Buckeye Homes, that is being developed in the East 93rd St. area by the Buckeye Area Development Corporation.

Buckeye road was the traditional retail area in the neighborhood. The area has been greatly assisted by the development of Buckeye commons, the devlopment of a 120,000-square foot shopping center near East 116th and Buckeye which includes a major supermarket. This development has led to storefront renovation activity and is a cause for renewed optimism for this once vibrant commercial strip.
Buckeye Commons


East End Neighborhood House
The East End Neighborhood House has recently been renovated and expanded including a new playground. Programs include childcare, seniors program and a community computer center.

Luke Easter Park is the home of the newest city Recreation Center, Zelma George, which provides gyms and a computer center in addition to the outdoor recreation activities.
Zelma George

The other end of the neighborhood has recreational opportunities at the Woodland Recreation Center (9206 Woodland Ave).

In 1927, St. Luke's Hospital moved from East 66th and Carnegie to its present location at East 116th and Shaker Boulevard. It has been one of the anchor institutions in the neighborhood.
St. Luke's Hospital


Benedictine High School
In 1929, Benedictine monks were given charge of the St. Benedict Parish on Martin Luther King Boulevard. In the same year, Benedictine High School, which had been established in 1927, moved to the quarters of the old Notre Dane orphnage at 10510 Buckeye. A new high school building was constructed in 1940 and a new abbey was constructed in 1952.

For more information about housing opportunites, take the housing tour or contact the Buckeye Area Development Organization at (216) 491-8450.




Copyright 2009 Cleveland State University


 

Return to Tour | Neighborhood Link | Neighborhood Information page