SIGNS OF QUALITY
The National Association for the Education of Young
noted signs of quality.
SIGNS OF HIGH QUALITY EARLY EDUCATION PROGRAMS
STAFF AND CHILDREN
- Staff work with children showing affection and respect.
- Staff respond to children.
- Staff speak with children in a friendly kind way.
- Staff invite independence in children.
- Staff use positive ways to help children behave.
- Staff do not use physical punishment or other negative
discipline that hurt, scare, or embarrass children.
- Staff promote social behaviors in children such as working
together, taking turns, and talking to solve problems.
- Staff ideas of children's social behavior are for their age
- Children talk about feelings and ideas.
- The daily schedule provides indoor/outdoor activities and
- Materials and equipment are available for infants,
- Staff provide many hands-on activities for language
development, physical development, and social
- There is a minimum of 35 square feet of usable playroom
space per child indoors.
- There is a minimum of 75 square feet of play space outdoors
- The center is licensed by the appropriate state and local
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Toileting and diapering areas are clean.
- Staff wash their hands with soap and water before feeding,
making or serving food, and after diapering or helping
children with toileting or nose wiping.
- A sink with running hot and cold water is very close to
diapering and toileting areas.
- The building, play yard, and all equipment are safe, clean,
and in good condition.
- Infants' and toddlers' toys are large enough to prevent
swallowing or choking.
- Sides of infants' cribs are in a locked position when cribs
are in use.
- Soap and disposable towels are provided.
- Children wash hands after toileting and before meals.
- Specially trained teachers are employed by the programs.
- There is regular communication with parents who are welcome
visitors at all times.
- There is qualified administration.
- Nutritious meals and snacks are served to the children.
- National Association for the Education of Young
- Starting Point for child care and
early education (216)431-1818