"Take Me Out to the Ball Game"
To acquaint students with League Park, Cleveland's first "major"
league baseball park.
League Park, Denton Young, halcyon days
- Why was League Park an important institution in Cleveland
life in 1896?
- Have the students read the newspaper account of the opening
day at League Park and answer the following questions.
|a. || Who was Denton Young?|
|b. || Why did the reporter feel baseball was "very much alive"
|c. || How did the teams arrive in the ball park ?|
|d. || Does the actual account of the game differ from the accounts
you might read in the Plain Dealer today about an Indians'
|e. || Only one umpire called the game? Do you think a baseball game
could be played today with only one umpire? Why or why not?|
- Have students look at the picture of the team in 1891. How
is this team different from the Cleveland team today?
- Have the students examine the picture of League Park. Have
them compare League Park to Jacob's Field. How are the two ball
parks the same? How are they different?
- Have the students look in the Plain Dealer for an account
of the opening day at Jacob's Field and have them compare the