At the Opera
To familiarize the students with the type of social activity the
upper class of Cleveland would have patronized during the late
Lohengrin, Walter Damrosch, orchestra circle, dress circle, gallery,
- What type of entertainment might the upper class of Cleveland
have patronized in the late 1890s?
Have the students read the article describing the audience at
the performance of "Lohengrin" and answer the following
questions for discussion:
- Why does the reporter feel that the Damrosch company has been
- Why was it important to the reporter to describe the clothing
worn by the spectators at the performance? Look at the drawing
of the people who attended the performance.
- What does this tell you about the people who patronized the
- Why would the reporter list the names of people in attendance?
- Was the order in which the people were mentioned in the article
- Look at the prices listed in the Opera Program. Who could
afford to attend the opera?
- Who set the standard for dress at the opera?
- How do you think a person learned the rules of etiquette for