Women in the Workplace, 1846
To familiarize the student with the feeling of women regarding
their position in the workplace and the reaction of the establishment
to this feeling. To compare the working life of a woman in mid-nineteenth
century Cleveland, with that of today.
ten hour system
- What two issues did Susan want to raise?
- What did the reply mean by "he who finds the most fault
is generally the biggest fool?"
- After reading the letter and the reply, have the students
complete one or more of the following activities.
- Have students write a letter to the editor of the Cleveland
Herald, either in support of or in opposition to Susan's letter
or the newspaper's reply.
- Debate the following resolution, Men and women should receive
equal pay for equal work.
- Research the women's rights reform movement in Cleveland during